LANGUAGE SUMMER CAMP: Cultures, Languages, Love of Learning.
It's a summer camp truly like no other -- a place to transport children a world away by learning Arabic, Mandarin and Portuguese, all through immersive language instruction and hands-on activities directed by native experts. And it's right here in Indianapolis.
In partnership with the Hamilton Lugar School of Global & International Studies at Indiana University, the International School of Indiana's Language Summer Camp allows children to experience countries and cultures through learning and practicing the world's most widely used languages, and to better understand how other people live and see the world. No prior language experience is required.
Participants in the Arabic and Mandarin camps will learn from faculty at the Hamilton Lugar School, a world leader in the study of international affairs and the languages, cultures and perspectives shaping our world. ISI faculty will lead the Portuguese instruction, showcasing the institution's approach to preparing students to succeed in an increasingly globalized world.
What: Language Summer Camp, Pre-K through grade 12, a partnership between the International School of Indiana and the Hamilton Lugar School of Global & International Studies
When: The Arabic and Mandarin sessions run 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 14 to 25. The Portuguese session (Pre-K to Grade 2 only) runs same times June 21 to July 2.
Where: Blackwell Building, International School of Indiana, 4330 N. Michigan Rd., Indianapolis, IN 46208
Cost: $300 per week (lunch not included). Participants should bring food, drinks and snacks.
Flexible options: Not sure which language to select? Try them all! Participants can sign up for one, two or all three languages.
No language experience required: The camp is designed for beginner-level students to ensure everyone has a great experience. Lesson content is unique each week and does not repeat.
AT A GLANCE: Camp languages
Why STUDY arabic
Arabic is one of the U.S. government’s top critical needs languages for U.S. students in higher education. With more than 300 million Arabic speakers around the globe, professional fluency in Arabic provides students with many career options, including business, government, nonprofits and more.
Why STUDY mandarin
Mandarin is one of the most spoken languages around the globe. In our increasingly interconnected world, China is a critical partner in business, government, the arts, nonprofits and other sectors. Students who have studied Mandarin stand out, and have a world of opportunity open to them professionally.
why STUDY portuguese
Ranked as one of the 10 most influential languages in the world, Portuguese is among the 24 official working languages of the European Union and is widely used in Africa and South America. Portuguese is the world’s sixth-most spoken language, and it is the second-most spoken language after Spanish in Latin America.
MORE ISI SUMMER CAMP opportunities!
Once again, ISI is offering two of our most popular summer options -- the Soccer Camp and the Math SAT Prep Camp.
At a glance: ISI Soccer Camp
- What: The ISI Soccer Camp will focus on improving basic offensive and defensive skills through one-on-one drills, field and position strategy, and individual conditioning.
- When: Monday, July 26, to Friday, July 29
- Time: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. each day
- Where: Blackwell Soccer Field, International School of Indiana, 4330 N. Michigan Road, Indianapolis, IN 46208
- Who: Students entering Grade 6 through Grade 8
- Equipment: All participants should bring a face mask, water or energy drinks and field shoes
- Cost: $150 per participant
- Camp instructors: We're lining up some of the area's best trainers and coaches to run the camp. Stay tuned!
At a glance: ISI Math SAT Prep CAMP
- What: The ISI Math SAT Prep Camp will focus on best practices in preparing for the mathematics section Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), as well as reviewing different areas of mathematics.
- When: Monday, June 14, to Friday, June 18
- Time: Beginners (incoming Grades 9-10) are 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. daily. Advanced (incoming Grades 11-12) are 1 to 4 p.m. daily.
- Where: Via Zoom. Link will be emailed before the camp starts.
- Supplies: Participants will need sharpened pencils, a graphing calculator and scrap paper. An SAT practice book will be distributed to participants before the camp starts.
- Cost: $175 per participant
- Instructor: Yelena Sinitsky, MYP and DP Math Instructor. Sinitsky, a 25-year ISI veteran, has led the SAT prep camps for more than a decade.