UPDATED MAY 14, 2021
Contact Department: Head of School
Oversight Executive: Lower School Principal, for ridership management & Vice President of Finance, for vendor relations/operations
Scope: These required protocols apply to anyone on an ISI campus, including but not limited to all students, staff, faculty, contractors, vendors, suppliers, and visitors.
Policy Statement: Though increasing numbers of individuals in the United States are receiving COVID-19 vaccines, a high rate of coronavirus transmission persists and there are a number of students in our school community who remain ineligible to receive the vaccination. To mitigate the spread of the virus, transportation by personal vehicle is still encouraged. However recognizing that bus transportation is both an important service and aid to school programming, until further notice bus services will be permitted with some restrictions.
Reason for Policy:
Provides guidance on how public health and safety measures will be implemented in bus service until International School of Indiana is able to return to normal operation in accordance with all public health and governmental orders.
TYPES OF BUS SERVICE
- Bus service is limited to the following:
- Transportation for students to and from ISI campuses for school
- Field Trips (day excursions only, no overnight trips)
- Shuttle service between campuses is suspended until further notice, as extracurricular activities are temporarily structured to prevent the mixing of Lower School and Upper School cohorts.
OVERSIGHT OF SERVICES
- ISI utilizes buses and a small fleet of vans and minibuses.
- Miller Transportation provides contract bus service for ISI.
- Vans and minibuses are owned and operated by the school.
- An ISI employee serves as a chaperone on each bus.
- Chaperones conduct the health screening in the morning before a student is permitted to board the bus.
- If a pupil becomes ill while at school, they should be sent home via an alternative method other than school bus transportation.
HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES
- Chaperones will wear a face covering at all times.
- Face masks and face shields aren’t advised for drivers as they can obstruct vision while driving, however they can be worn as students are entering and exiting the bus if social distancing can’t be otherwise practiced.
- Students are issued an assigned seat with preference given to the youngest student seated in the front of the bus, and shared seats occupied by siblings/single households.
- All students should wear a face covering or mask during transportation and students should be spaced apart as much as is feasible.
- Students are encouraged to use proper hygiene and hand washing before boarding the bus.
- As weather conditions and bus routes permit, windows may be opened for cross ventilation.
- Types of trips and routes should be determined with the goal of reducing the duration of trips where possible.
- All drivers are trained on proper disinfecting procedures for the school bus and these procedures are in accordance with CDC recommendations.
Failure to comply with COVID-19 Transportation protocols may result in disciplinary action through existing disciplinary processes. Human resources will assist supervisors with addressing employee violations and principals will provide guidance on addressing student violations, and all other violations are referred to the Head of School’s office.