UPDATED MAY 14, 2021
Contact Department: Upper School, Lower School
Oversight Executive: Upper School Principal & Lower School Principal
Scope: These required protocols apply to all ISI students, staff, faculty, parents and guardians.
Definition of Terms:
Remote learning: also called distance learning, is the education of students who are not physically present at school. It is not the preferred method of curriculum delivery and is not intended to replicate a student’s regular school day.
Automatic remote learning: is the process for students who must be excluded from campus for 48 hours or more to participate in remote learning.
Voluntary remote learning: is the process students in Grades 1 through Grade 12 may utilize to participate in remote learning if they qualify.
Policy Statement: To maximize student engagement and ensure the continuity of curriculum, ISI will operate in-person for the 2021-2022 school year. However due to the ongoing pandemic, individual students or entire cohorts may be required to quarantine for a period of time. ISI will work to ensure that students receive their full curriculum seamlessly.
Reason for Policy:
1. Define attendance policies during COVID-19 pandemic.
2. Provide guidance for use of remote learning for students required to quarantine or isolate due to impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
3. Define policies and procedures for remote learning.
- It is important that students and their families understand that students who are sick or who have recently had close contact with a person with COVID-19 stay home.
- The ISI COVID-19 Illness Policy and Health Screening procedures are designed to encourage sick students to stay at home without fear of reprisal.
- ISI will not reward perfect attendance for the 2021-2022 school year and has developed remote learning options to serve students excluded from campus due to illness/health reasons for extended periods of time.
Parents must complete the following steps to mark their child as absent.
To Indicate Student Absence:
- Parents log in to ManageBac
- Select "Attendance" in the main menu
- Click the "Submit Attendance Excusal" button in the upper right of the page
AUTOMATIC REMOTE LEARNING
A student is placed in automatic remote learning status for involuntary campus exclusions of 48 hours or more.
The primary responsibility for initiating automatic remote learning procedures involving a student lies with the Principal. A student may be subject to automatic remote learning for the following causes:
- Quarantine due to COVID-19
- Isolation due to COVID-19
- International students awaiting visas
2. In the event that ISI requires a student to move to automatic remote learning status, the student and or their guardian will receive email notification from ISI with instructions detailing the terms for and period of automatic remote learning status. Specific instructions to participate in remote class activities will be provided by faculty via ManageBac. In automatic remote learning situations, Lower School schedules will be adjusted to accommodate the needs of young learners online and may not duplicate the current school day schedule.
3. Automatic remote learning status will not exceed the length of the quarantine or isolation period.
4. If a full class or cohort moves to automatic remote learning, there must be one full school day of preparation time before the automatic remote learning initiates. No additional steps are required by the student or family to initiate access to remote learning.
5. If an individual student is COVID positive, automatic remote learning will be initiated for them:
- Once a confirmed COVID-19 positive test has been submitted to the school nurse
- Only if the quarantine period extends beyond 48 hours
- Once 48 hours have elapsed from notification to allow faculty to provide materials to the student, and to prepare technology in the classroom
The school requires 48 hours from notification of a case to implementation of automatic remote learning in order to allow faculty time to prepare technology in the classroom and provide materials.
6. However, for individual students, not COVID positive and not part of a class or cohort quarantine, remote learning access must be initiated by completing the remote learning request form. Remote learning links, which are provided 48 hours after an access request is submitted, will be made available via ManageBac.
VOLUNTARY REMOTE LEARNING
An ISI student in Grades 1 through Grade 12 may be granted temporary voluntary remote learning status for the following reason:
- Medical condition of the student or a member of the student’s household
The following approvals must be obtained:
- Written documentation from the student’s pediatrician or a physician/specialist advising the affected household member.
- Approval from Lower School Principal for lower school students
- Approval from Upper School Principal for upper school students
A student must be in good academic standing to be considered for temporary voluntary remote learning.
- Academic leadership will evaluate if the student is suited for remote learning taking into consideration the student’s learning style, skill level, and necessary home supervision.
Effective Date of Voluntary Remote Learning Status
- Voluntary Remote Learning status, if granted, is effective as of the date of written notification from the Principal and shall be extended for a period of time defined at the time the status is granted.
- Voluntary remote learning status approval is not granted for more than one academic year.
- A request for voluntary remote learning status must be submitted prior to the start of a semester or session. The only exception would be a significant change to a risk to the health or safety of the student or a member of their household that cannot be eliminated by a reasonable modification to in-person activities.
ISI students in the Pre-Elementary program (3 year old, pre-K, and Kindergarten) are not eligible to participate in voluntary remote learning.
ISI students excused for short-term illness, vacation, or off campus for an appointment are not permitted to participate in voluntary remote learning. Even if a class has a link available for remote learning, the teacher is not obligated to activate that link for students who are not authorized to participate in voluntary remote learning.
Prior to the start of the school year students can request voluntary remote learning by completing the voluntary remote learning request form. If you are in need of voluntary remote learning during the school year, please contact your Principal.