- Campus News
- Lower School
Unit 5 Wrap-Up
Primary Years Programme (PYP) students at the Lower School are finishing up their final unit of the school year! The PYP units are built around transdisciplinary themes that are relevant to all students and cultures. The units are supported by knowledge, concepts, and skills from traditional subject areas such as math, social studies, science, and language arts, but utilize them in a transdisciplinary model.
On May 19, Grade 4 students participated in a wax museum for their How We Express Ourselves unit. Students picked famous artists, writers, and musicians throughout history, learning information about them and becoming them for their End of Unit Celebration. On June 2, Grade 5 students will be presenting their learning in their Exhibition to wrap up their time at the Lower School.
The central ideas for Unit 5 in each grade are:
- 3 Year Old: Sharing the Planet - Plants have specific needs in order to grow and stay healthy.
- Pre-Kindergarten: Sharing the Planet - Living things have unique characteristics and change throughout their lives.
- Kindergarten: How We Express Ourselves - People express emotions through music and movement.
- Grade 1: How We Express Ourselves - People express their ideas and feelings through the visual arts.
- Grade 2: How We Express Ourselves - Through tales, myths and legends, people express beliefs and values in entertaining ways.
- Grade 3: How We Express Ourselves - The artistic expression of a community can be used to share ideas and feelings in powerful ways.
- Grade 4: How We Express Ourselves - People express their culture and beliefs through various forms of art.
- Grade 5: Who We Are - Final Grade 5 Exhibition.
To celebrate a successful end to the third unit, families were invited to join their students in a variety of activities, including song recitals, presentations, and other hand-on activities to support and celebrate their student’s learning. Click to learn more about the PYP in the classroom, view Pre-Elementary and Lower School at ISI.