Admissions - Frequently Asked Questions
At what age does ISI begin enrolling students?
- ISI Pre-Elementary School (3 Years Old – Kindergarten) is a full-day academic program for three-, four- and five-year-olds.
- The Pre-K and Kindergarten classrooms are full-immersion classrooms, divided into three language tracks: French, Spanish, and Mandarin Chinese.
- ISI accepts new students at any grade level.
How does ISI select the students it admits?
- We evaluate applicants based on their academic abilities and their character.
- We consider student maturity, attitude towards learning, and behavior.
- We also seek evidence of independence, involvement, and concern for others.
What is required for admission?
- Application for Admission and $50 Processing Fee: Candidates should complete the ISI Application for Admission form. The application is to be accompanied by a $50 non-refundable application fee.
- Transcripts or Report Cards: The Transcript Release form should be completed and given to the student’s current school. Transcripts should then be sent directly from the sending institution. Transcripts for the previous academic year and first semester of the current academic year, attendance records, teacher’s comments, and standardized testing results should be included.
- Individual Testing/Entrance Exam: Depending on the age level, either a readiness assessment or standardized exams help us determine whether ISI will be the best environment for a student.
- Letters of Recommendation: Teachers provide us with great insights into prospective students’ strengths and weaknesses.
- Pre-Entry Visit/Shadow Day/Interviews: Observing interaction with peers helps us to learn about prospective students.
- Please visit the section of your child’s grade level for further information.
Does my child need to take a test for admission?
- Candidates for Grade 9 are required to submit standardized testing results from ERB and ISTEP.
- If these are not available, candidates are required to take the ISEE exam (Independent School Entrance Examination).
- Registration forms are available at the Admissions Office or online at http://www.iseetest.org.
- Registration should be completed at least 3 weeks before the desired testing date.
Can prospective students and/or parents sit in on a class?
When should we schedule our family tour and visit?