- Campus News
The ISI girls swim team finished the 2020-21 season with a school record in the 200-yard medley relay during the ISHAA sectionals earlier this month at Brownsburg High School.
The relay team -- seniors Gaby Gossweiler and Claire Kaneshiro and sophomores Chelsea Payton and Grace Kaneshiro -- posted a time of 2:09.57, finishing seventh out of 10 teams in the event.
The new mark comes on the heels of two other school records this season -- both set by senior Gaby Gossweiler in the 200-yard individual medley in December and the 50-yard freestyle in January.
Breaking school records is nothing new for the girls swim team. During the 2019-20 season, new times were set for the 100-yard freestyle, 200-yard free relay, 100-yard backstroke, 100-yard breaststroke and the 400-yard free relay.
“Despite all the distractions and disruptions posed by COVID-19 this season, our team found a way to overcome those obstacles and post some impressive results,” Athletic Director Joel O’Neil said. “This group is one of the most successful we’ve seen in the program’s history. The entire ISI community couldn’t be more proud of these student-athletes.”
More than 240 schools from across the state competed at this year’s sectionals. The ISI team amassed 110 total team points at sectionals, finishing 9th overall out of 12 schools in the bracket and one spot ahead of PAAC conference rival Park Tudor.
- Girls team 4th in 400 freestyle relay (4:09.82)
- Girls team 7th in the 200 medley relay (2:09.57 school record)
- Gaby Gossweiler 7th in the 100 freestyle (58.10)
- Gaby Gossweiler 8th in the 100 backstroke (1:07.30)
- Claire Kaneshiro 8th in the 200 individual medley (2:38.79)
- Grace Kaneshiro 10th in the 500 freestyle (6:07.33)
- Grace Kaneshiro 11th in the 200 freestyle (2:17.46)
- Claire Kaneshiro 11th in the 100 butterfly (1:11.60)
- Chelsea Payton 14th in the 100 backstroke (1:19.65)
The 2021-22 girls swim season starts in October after preseason conditioning.
Up next for ISI swimming: Sectionals for the five-member boys team are February 18 and 20 at Pike High School in Indianapolis, with finals set for February 26-27 at the Indiana University Natatorium in Indianapolis. All events will be streamed live through the ISHAA website. #ISIPride