10 REASONS TO CHOOSE ISI:
1. ISI is a pioneer in education
- ISI engages local and overseas students in a sophisticated model of academic achievement, fluency in other languages, intercultural understanding and global awareness.
- ISI is the first school in Indiana to be authorized by the International Baccalaureate (IB) Organization to offer all three IB programs, and only the second school in the entire Midwest to achieve this distinction.
- ISI is the 14th school in the United States to be authorized for all three programs, and only the 8th private school.
2. ISI HAS OUTSTANDING EDUCATORS
- ISI is an Indianapolis private school with 100 faculty representing 20 nationalities.
- Teachers are native speakers of our selected languages, and in many cases they are recruited from their home country.
- All faculty members, from pre-elementary to the High School, are qualified, experienced, and trained IB (International Baccalaureate) practitioners for the relevant level.
3. ISI is fully committed to the International Baccalaureate
- The implementation of the International Baccalaureate programs throughout the entire school signals our determination to ensure we have a school meeting worldwide standards, and following worldwide best practice.
ISI is one of the premier IB schools
in the nation.
- Different from other US high schools that offer the IB Diploma, ISI is totally committed to the International Baccalaureate philosophy and approach, with no other programs or courses competing for our attention.
- Every ISI teacher is trained by attending official IB workshops, where they have the opportunity to share in worldwide best practice.
- Every teacher has constant access to the IB curriculum development website, and to the worldwide network of IB teachers.
- Whenever we organize special events or activities, we are conscious of the manner in which they contribute to the holistic philosophy of the IB, and ultimately strengthen student learning.
This dynamic IB environment has a transformational effect on many students, encouraging them to achieve at outstanding levels.
- An additional advantage of the IB Diploma is that it is run by an external agency, and has a high degree of reliability, accountability and therefore credibility on an international scale.
4. ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE
- High School Graduation Rate: 100%
- College Acceptance Rate: 100%
- College Attendance Rate: 100%
- The Class of 2012 represented ISI’s 9th graduating class.
Our 37 senior students received over $4.2 million in merit scholarships - the most in ISI history.
- The 2012 Class celebrated one National Merit Scholar, two National Merit Finalists, an Indiana Academic All-Star, and Indiana Dollars for SCHOLARS Hoosier Heroes Scholarship Essay Competition Winner, NROTC Scholarship Recipient, and an Emerson Scholar.
- The fact that ISI is an international school is not only in reference to our diverse community but that we have students being accepted and attending colleges and universities beyond the US borders.
- ISI has a comprehensive four-year college-counseling program. It is a personalized, hands-on process that takes place throughout the students high school years.
- College and University Acceptances: Colleges accepting ISI students from our first nine graduating classes include Harvard, Stanford, Cambridge, London School of Economics, Princeton, Cornell, MIT, University of Pennsylvania, Purdue, Indiana, Wabash, Washington University, Swarthmore, and Haverford.
5. ISI is a Center of Excellence in Foreign Language and Intercultural Learning
- ISI’s approach to world languages and international awareness, through its immersion model in the elementary school, the employment of native speakers and an extensive foreign exchange program, places ISI at the forefront of language learning.
- Most ISI students become bilingual, and many are fluent in a third language.
- Our close cooperation with the Spanish and French ministries of education brings additional support and attention.
- ISI is a leading exponent of world language teaching, and is happy to share its expertise with the broader education community.
6. UNIQUE IN THE MIDWEST
- While a number of schools across the Midwest seek to reflect an international commitment, no other major city in the Midwest has an international school of the caliber of ISI.
- Across the entire US only a small number of schools aspire to the same international school aims - and have similar programs, accreditations and memberships.
- ISI is an important differentiator for Indianapolis and central Indiana in seeking to attract companies and talent.
- ISI’s Upper School Principal is a workshop leader for the IB Middle Years Program, and is invited to train public school teachers across the USA. He has organized a local MYP Coordinators support group (ISI is the only private school in this support group).
- ISI is establishing itself as a center of excellence for the International Baccalaureate.
7. INTERNATIONALLY TRANSFERABLE
- By integrating international standards of academic achievement in its program ISI facilitates the transfer of students from overseas schools and their transfer back to their own system, or to another international school overseas.
- This allows their parents greater flexibility in accepting overseas career assignments.
8. ISI offers extensive science education
- The addition of more extensive and specialized science education acknowledges the strategic need for the US to have more science and technology graduates in the future to maintain its competitive edge.
9. ISI has a special focus on family and community values
- ISI has a special focus on the family.
We understand the challenges that families face who move to a new country with their children.
- This includes the social-emotional issues of “Third Culture Kids” (children who grow up outside of their original culture), of “second language learners” (students having to acquire a second language in order to access their education), and of “trailing spouses” (wives or husbands who accompany their partner overseas, but are not the main breadwinner, and who may not even have authorization to work in the US).
- We focus on building a warm and welcoming international school community, which benefits both foreign and local families.
- We achieve all of this while remaining firmly rooted in our community in central Indiana.
- We are at heart an Indianapolis private school with strong ties to the community.
10. role within the community
- ISI is establishing itself as a center of excellence for the International Baccalaureate
ISI’s Upper School Principal is a workshop leader for the IB Middle Years Programme, and is invited to train public school teachers across the USA
- ISI students carry out community service projects within the community as an integral part of their IB education.
- IB hosts guest lectures in the fields of the IB Diploma Theory of Knowledge component and in science and engineering, which are open to the public.
- ISI continues to cultivate and maintains close links with local government, major companies, businesses, foundations and agencies in Indiana, primarily through its Board membership.
- Thanks to the efforts of Indiana policy makers and business and community leaders, Indiana is one of the most successful states in the USA in attracting overseas business.
- ISI plays a significant role in enhancing the attractiveness of central Indiana to overseas companies and their top talent, and is making an outstanding contribution in educating Indiana students to be leaders and key workers in the state and global economy
ISI AT A GLANCE
- Grades: Pre-Kindergarten (3-Year-Old) through Grade 12
- Total number of students: Approximately 600 students, representing 65 nationalities
- Class size: A Homeroom is typically between 12 and 16 students.
- Students from central Indiana: 75%
- Students from other countries, currently living in Indianapolis: 25%
- Countries represented include Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Democratic Republic of Congo, England, France, Guatemala, India, Mali, Mexico, Morocco, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Russia, Spain, Sudan, Thailand, Turkey.
- Number of faculty: 100, representing 20 nationalities
- Dedicated educators averaging 15 years teaching experience
- Percentage of teaching faculty with advanced degrees: 50%
- Percentage of faculty that are native English speakers: 60%
- Percentage of faculty that are native Spanish speakers: 25%
- Percentage of faculty that are native French speakers: 15%
- Several faculty members are on secondment from the French Ministry of Education
- Extensive professional development program
- All faculty members, from pre-elementary to the High School, are trained IB (International Baccalaureate) practitioners for the relevant level
- Teachers engage staff, parents and students as partners in the education of each student
Overall student-faculty ratio: 9 to 1
All high school students (Grades 11 and 12) take the full International Baccalaureate Diploma
In 2012, ISI was named one of the Top 50 High Schools in America by the Washington Post
In 2011, ISI became the first school in Indiana to be authorized by the International Baccalaureate (IB) Organization to offer all three IB programs, and only the second school in the entire Midwest to achieve this distinction.
ISI is the 14th school in the United States to be authorized for all three programs, and only the 8th private school.
High School Graduation Rate: 100%
College Attendance Rate: 100%
IB Diploma Results places ISI among top performing high schools in the USA, and among the top performing international schools around the world
Our graduating class of 37 students in 2012 was offered $4.2 million in academic merit scholarships and these students are now studying at some of the finest universities locally, nationally and internationally
Language Tracks: English-Spanish, English-French and English-Mandarin
A unique combination of programs in the Midwest
ISI welcomes new students at any grade level except Grade 12 without any prior knowledge of a foreign language.
In the Upper School (Grades 6-12) all mainstream classes are taught in English. Students fluent in French or Spanish may continue humanities courses taught in those languages through Grade 9.
A strong world language immersion component in the Lower School (Pre-K to Grade 5).
Language Tracks: French, Spanish, and 50/50 Mandarin Chinese and English.
Rich opportunities for Upper School students (Grades 6-12) to continue their chosen language at a high level, or to learn a language from a beginner or intermediate level.
Overseas exchange visits in Grades 6, 9, and 10 allow students to deepen their insights into French and Spanish speaking societies, and practice their language in an authentic setting.
Pre-Elementary (3yop, Pre-K and K): $14,286 per year*
Elementary (Grades 1-5): $14,498 per year*
Middle School (Grades 6-8): $14,720 per year
High School (Grades 9-12): $15,832 per year
Tuition rates for 2012-13 include lunch for all grades and the cost of workbooks, classroom materials and textbooks
Additional costs are incurred for the overseas exchange visits in Grade 6, 9 and 10
Additional costs are incurred in Grade 12 for the International Baccalaureate examination fees
Admission Deadline: Rolling admission throughout the year when places are available.
Students receiving financial assistance from the school: 25%
*There is surcharge for our Mandarin/English immersion classes of $440 per year.
ISI maintains a strong commitment to economic and ethnic diversity
In spite of having no endowment, ISI commits at least $800,000 in financial assistance to families who would not otherwise be able to attend ISI.
Amounts of assistance awarded range from modest to very significant.
Founded in 1994 as a non-profit secular, coeducational independent school with an emphasis on global learning and foreign language
International Exchange Trips: in Grades 6, 9, and 10
Number of interscholastic teams: 10, Growing and inclusive sports programs, including basketball, soccer, volleyball, swimming, tennis, lacrosse, track and field, cross country, golf, and crew.
Pre-elementary through Grade 3 classes are held in a traditional 1940’s school house at 200 W. 49th Street, in the desirable Butler Tarkington neighborhood on the edge of the attractive Butler University campus. Grades 4 through 12 buildings are housed on our new campus of 60 wooded acres at 4330 Michigan Road, north of the Indianapolis Museum of Art and bordered by beautiful woods and the banks of the White River.
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
Indiana Department of Education. ISI High School has ‘freeway status’ and all students meeting our graduation requirements receive the Indiana Honors (Core 40) Diploma
French Ministry of Education (elementary French program)
Spanish Ministry of Education. ISI is one of only approximately 100 schools throughout the United States to be recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education.
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme for students in Grades 11 and 12
International Baccalaureate (IB) authorized to offer the Middle Years Programme (MYP) for students in 6-10.
International Baccalaureate (IB) authorization for the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) for students 3YO - Grade 5.
Council of International Schools (CIS)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
European Council of International Schools (ECIS)
Agence pour l’enseignement français à l’étranger (AEFE - organization of French education overseas)
Indianapolis Non-Public Education Association
Indianapolis Private Schools Diversity Consortium, dedicated to increasing diversity in our school communities
Confucius Classroom (under the auspices of the Confucius Institute in Indianapolis by the Chinese Language Council International, an affiliate of the Ministry of Education in China).